Pozole Verde Recipe
(2) lbs. Boneless skinless chicken thighs
(1) lb. Tomatillos, about 12 golf ball size, remove husks and rinse
(1) Large onion, chopped
(3) Medium size poblano pepper, halved, remove seeds
(2) Jalapeños, halved, remove seed unless you want it spicy
(2) Large whole garlic cloves, peeled
(1) tbs. Dried oregano
(1) tsp. Coriander seed ground
(1) tsp. Kosher salt
(1) tsp. Ground cumin
(8) cups. Chicken broth (2 boxes 32oz each chicken broth)
(2) 25oz cans white hominy, drained and rinsed
A handful of fresh cilantro, leaves and stems
*Toppings: Thinly shredded cabbage, sliced radishes, diced green onions, cilantro, sliced jalapeños, lime wedges, Lindita’s spice blend
In a large stock pot or 7 quart dutch oven, add chicken broth, chicken thighs, whole tomatillos, onions, poblanos, jalapeños, garlic cloves.
Stir it up then add all the spices and bring to boil over high heat, reduce heat to low, cover partially. crack the lid and simmer for 45 minutes.
Transfer chicken to a platter. Let it rest until you can shred by hand.
Use a large slotted spoon, transfer all the cooked vegetables and fresh cilantro to a blender adding in a cup of the cooked broth. Blend for about 30 seconds until completely smooth.
Pour the blended mixture back into the pot, shredded chicken and hominy. Bring to a simmer at a medium heat and cook uncovered for 10-15 minutes.
Let’s time to serve it up!!In a medium to large soup bowl, top with shredded cabbage, sliced radishes, green onions, cilantro, jalapeños, squeezed lime over the top. As my son Ian said, Wow! This is dangerous because it’s so delicious you can’t stop at one bowl…
Serves 6-8 peeps!
Serve it up chilled for the summer time too! It's refreshing during the hot summer nights!
Serve with your favorite tortilla chips, tostadas, or Bolillo (Mexican Bread)
Enjoy Mis Amigos!