Soldiers recuperating at Fitzsimons General Hospital knew they could rely on the Red Cross Building as a refuge from army life. Completed in 1918, the structure was designed in the Mission Revival style common to U.S. Army posts of the southwest. Set in landscaped grounds, the building featured several fireplaces, a performance stage and a large auditorium/recreation room. The Red Cross Building was demolished in 1915.
A monument known as the "Beehive Memorial" still stands on the grounds, dedicated to the memory of officers, nurses and enlisted men in the U.S. Army Medical Corps who lost their lives in the line of duty.